REFEREE LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
The certification requirements for each license level of referee are summarized below.
Minimum Age - 13. No Exceptions are allowed by US Soccer
Previous Experience - None
(1) Complete the Grassroots Referee Course through US Soccer Learning Center
(2) Attend Field Training Session
Safety and Compliance -
(1) SafeSport Training [Referees age 18 and up]
(2) Background Check [Referees age 18 and up]
(3) Safe Soccer Training
Laws of the Game Quiz - Pass the Grassroots Referee Quiz
Fitness Test - None
Practical Assessment - None
Recertification - July 1 through December 31. Complete the Grassroots Recertification Course
Conduct - Regional Referee candidates must be in good standing with the ASRA with respect to US Soccer and ASRA Codes of Conduct and Ethics on and off the field, in public and all forms of social media and communication
Minimum Age - 18
Previous Experience -
- 50 games as Referee at adult amateur level
- 25 games as Assistant Referee at adult amateur level
- Minimum of 3 consecutive years as Grassroots Referee
Training - Complete the Regional Referee course and Field Training session
- US Soccer Learning Center will host the online Regional Referee course
- Arizona will host in-person course and Field Training session
Laws of the Game Quiz - Pass the Regional Referee quiz online
Fitness Test - Pass the FIFA Women’s Referee Sprint and Interval Test
- Males: 6.4 seconds for sprints, and 17/20 for intervals
-Females: 6.6 seconds for sprints, and 17/24 for intervals
Practical Assessment - 2 assessments as Referee. 1 assessment as Assistant Referee.
- 2 games at Adult Amateur Level with 45 minute halves
- 1 game at U18 or above
- Must be done by 3 different Referee Coaches
- Attend Recertification Event held second weekend of August.
- Complete the Regional Referee recertification course online through US Soccer Learning Center
- Pass Fitness Test. One held prior to Recertification Event. It is your responsibility to enter fitness date in OMS on AZREF.COM.
- NOTE: Fitness Test for recertification must be passed within the 12 calendar months of the prior year, AND a passing Fitness Test may only apply to a single certification year.
- Pass 2 (two) assessments as Referee, 1 at Adult Amateur and 1 at a U-18/19 level, by 2 different Referee Coaches.
It is your responsibility to enter assessment dates in OMS on AZREF.COM