How To Become a Soccer Referee
There are two parts to the certification process in Arizona.
Part 1 is Online Training covering all of the Laws of the Game - In soccer, they aren't "rules," they are "laws."
- You can begin working on the Online Training any time, as long as you complete it prior to the Field Training session.
- There is no cost to begin working on the Online Training
- Signup for and complete the training through a separate system (See Instructions Below).
Part 2 is a 5-hour Field Training Session that will prepare you for your first few matches and reinforce what you learned in the Online Training
- You will pay your referee registration fee when you sign up for a Field Training session.
- Field Training Sessions are generally scheduled immediately prior to the start of the season.
- Field Training Sessions take place at various locations around the state, and you can attend any one you'd like.
Field Training Session
Step 1. Complete the Online Training PART 1.
Step 2. Attend a Field Training Session PART 2.
- If you do not see any courses posted, there are none scheduled
- Courses are continuously scheduled, so keep checking back
- Courses will close for registration 4 days prior
- The cost is $85
- The fee is payable online when you register
- The fee covers your US Soccer Registration and Arizona fees
- Dress appropriately for running on a soccer field
- Bring your own whistle
- Bring any other referee gear you may have: flags, cards, coin
- Bring plenty of hydration. This is especially important for warm-weather courses! Pack what you think you'll need, then double it. Water may not be available at the field location
Note that we are unable to offer full refunds in case of an incomplete course.
Payment can be applied to a future course if a chance is required
Step 3. You're a Referee!
- You will receive your badge at the completion of the class
- Once you receive your badge, you may begin refereeing games
- You will receive your registration packet from US Soccer several weeks later
- You DO NOT need to wait for your registration packet to arrive before you begin refereeing