How To Become a Soccer Referee
There are two major steps to the certification process in Arizona.
Step 1 is Online Training covering all of the Laws of the Game - In soccer, they aren't "rules," they are "laws."
Step 1. Register for a course and Complete the Online Training. (See Below)
- Course Fee is $85 and is due upon signing up for a course
- Fee covers US Soccer Registration and a portion fees incurred by Arizona State Referee Administration
- Course registration closes 3 days prior to the scheduled date
- Online Training MUST BE COMPLETED 3 DAYS PRIOR TO FIELD SESSION
- If online training is incomplete, the system will automatically remove you from the course
- NOTE: WE ARE UNABLE TO OFFER FULL REFUNDS IN CASE OF AN INCOMPLETE COURSE. Payment can be applied to a future course if a schedule change is required.
- To register for a course select "Never been a referee" from the drop down below
- Then select "All"
- Pick a course listed and select "Register"
Step 2 is a 5-hour Field Training Session that will prepare you for your first few matches and reinforce what you learned in the Online Training
Field Training Session
Step 2. Attend the Field Training Session on the date you registered.
- Dress appropriately for running on a soccer field
- Bring your own whistle
- Bring any other referee gear you may have: flags, cards, coin
- Bring plenty of hydration. This is especially important for warm-weather courses! Pack what you think you'll need, then double it. Water may not be available at the field location
- Bring light snacks that can be eaten quickly during short breaks. There will be no lunch break.
Step 3. You're a Referee!
- You will receive your badge at the completion of the class
- Once you receive your badge, you may begin refereeing games
- You will be assigned a USSF ID automatically when US Soccer processes your registration